5 reasons to go to France during your holidays
France is among the most popular tourist destinations is Europe. It has fascinating landmarks, tourist attractions, and great works of art. Moreover, France is endowed with a fascinating history and an exquisite cuisine. French cuisine is a real delicacy in many parts of the world.
5 main reasons to go to France on your holidays
1. Visit popular landmarks
France is endowed with several outstanding landmarks. Most of them were designed by reputable, talented architects and engineers, among which are the following:
- Eiffel Tower is the most popular landmark in France. It is located in Paris, the capital city. Other popular landmarks can be found in Paris, particularly The Arc de Triumph and Champs-Elysées.
- Palais des Papes is one of the largest medieval Gothic palaces in France. It was in the palace where the Popes of Avignon once ruled. The walls have such an outstanding thickness, with 3m thick. The castle is characterized by watchtowers and port cullises.
- Notre Dame Cathedral is the most popular landmark in Le Puy-en-Velay, in southern France.
2. Learn history
France has an interesting history. By visiting some of its popular cities and castles, you have the great opportunity to learn history.
- If you visit Nîmes in southern France, you can discover the history of the Roman Gaul. The city reveals the importance of the Roman influence in France, through its architecture. Among the most popular attractions are the Roman temple and the Roman amphitheater.
- If you want to know more about French during the Renaissance era, you should visit the Old Town of Lyon, or the Vieux Lyon. The region is almost uninhabited nowadays, and most houses have been turned into museums. You will be fascinated by the well-preserved architecture which dated back into the Renaissance era.
- If you want to know more about King Napoleon and his emperorship, the best place to visit is the Palace of Fontainebleau in Paris. You can admire the beauty of the building from the exterior to its interior.
3. To enjoy French cuisine
French cuisine is renowned worldwide for its finesse and exquisite food taste. In other words, French cuisine is labeled haute cuisine. You can visit the best restaurants and taste the best food if you spend your holidays in France.
- You should not miss the French cheese and wine. In fact, there are about 400 types of cheese and 450 different kinds of wine in France. You should go to Bordeaux to shop for wine.
- Among the most popular French dishes, you might want to try the famous Coq au Vin, which is male chicken braised in red wine, with mushrooms, onions and garlic.
- You should not miss also the popular onion soup which is made from onions, beef stock and cheese. It is reminiscent of the French past history.
4. Shop for the latest fashion
France is a popular destination for the latest trends and fashion. Go to the boutiques and buy well-known brands of clothing items, bags and accessories. It is also the best place to buy perfumes. Popular French brand names include Coco Chanel, Hermes, Vendome, Lancome, and many others. Top boutiques in France are Chloé in Saint-Tropez, Cartier in Roissy, Bel Air; but there are still many others.
5. Enjoy Nature
France is home to a large variety of bird species, which amount to 500 species. The most popular places for bird watching is Camargue, which is located between the Mediterranean Sea and the Rhone River Delta.
If you want to admire the beauty of the French landscape, the best destination is Gorge du Verdon in southeastern France. Its main highlight is the River Canyons.
Go to France on your holidays
To book a flight to France, go to the Opodo's website. This travel agency can help you find the best flight deal for a wonderful vacation. The Opodo online travel agency can also facilitate your hotel reservation and journey across this fascinating country.